Tuesday, December 30, 2008

A Caution About Chew Toys

When Bailey was still a puppy – nearly grown in size, but still a puppy – we had a scary evening. Okay, like anyone with puppies, we’ve had more than one. But I’m only going to talk about one of them now.

We were having a quiet evening at home and our younger daughter had come over to visit. Bailey had taken a rawhide bone and disappeared for a while, and the rest of us were talking and generally enjoying time together.

Suddenly, we heard the most horrible sound I have ever heard come from a dog. It was not a bark or a yelp. It was a scream! In a panic, we all started looking for Bailey – and she came out from behind a chair.

She was obviously in pain, and as I reached down to pick her up again, she wretched and made that same screaming sound! Without even taking a moment to think about it, I grabbed a towel to wrap her up, told my daughter to come with me, told my wife we were going to the emergency vet that was very close by, and headed out the door. I gave Bailey to my daughter since I’d be driving and headed down the road.

About a mile from the house, Bailey convulsed and threw up. Then she looked up at my daughter like everything was just fine. There, in the towel, was something all covered in mucous. I pulled over and looked at it – it was a chunk of the rawhide bone Bailey had been chewing on – now just a flat piece of rawhide. It was almost an inch across and over two inches long! No wonder she had been in pain.

Since she seemed okay now, I turned around and headed home. By the time we got home, Bailey hit the floor running around and seemed unaware that there had even been a problem.

Since that night, we still have rawhide bones in the house – but we watch very closely and dispose of them when they get chewed down very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment